You want your WordPress real estate website to be clean, functional, and user-friendly so that it can generate more leads. You also need for it to be easy to design, manage and maintain. What you need in order to accomplish that is the right real estate WordPress theme. Here’s what you need to know.
What is a WordPress Theme?
A WordPress theme is a package of design elements that determine the way your website looks and feels.
The theme is where you choose your layout, colors, adjust font styles and sizes, put in your headers and footers, install widgets and plugins, and incorporate the tools you need for a beautiful, high-functioning website.
You cannot build a WordPress website without a theme. But which theme you use is up to you, and there are thousands of options.
Why You Shouldn’t Change Themes
It’s essential to choose the best theme the first time. Because themes are coded in specific ways, they don’t always translate well when you’re shifting your website content from one theme to another. You may end up losing formatting and fonts, breaking links, removing images, and damaging the integrity of other parts of your website’s structure.
Who Makes WordPress Themes?
WordPress has in-house free and paid themes that are ready to plug and play. The free versions have limitations. There are also third-party developers who specialize in creating WordPress themes specific to an industry, such as real estate.
Website development companies often create their own themes to choose from when building out your website, so if you’re having your website professionally built, ask the developer about theme options.
Research the themes that interest you so you can learn more about the developers. Some are better than others. Find out what others are saying by reading ratings and reviews.
Gutenberg Blocks and Elementor
Gutenberg Blocks and Elementor are each design tools that work with a WordPress theme that allows you to drag and drop boxes with elements such as text, images, or a bit of HTML code.
Neither Elementor nor Gutenberg is a WordPress theme. They’re used in conjunction with WordPress themes to help you design your website.
Elementor has been around since 2016 and has a paid and a pro version that’s more powerful than Gutenberg Blocks, which was launched in 2018.
Gutenberg Blocks is the free design platform released by WordPress and is used by default on WordPress websites.
Elementor has a limited free version, but paid subscriptions are more common because they include more options than Gutenberg. In fact, Elementor has so many options that it can feel overwhelming at times.
The good news is that Gutenberg Blocks and Elementor can be used synchronically on your WordPress website.
What to Look for in a Theme
There are certain qualities in a WordPress theme that will set you up for success. Here’s what to look for:
- Lightweight: When you choose a heavy theme that weighs your site down, you could lose visitors and search engine authority. Choose a theme that isn’t bulky and won’t negatively influence your load times.
- Compatible with Gutenberg Blocks and/or Elementor: Gutenberg Blocks has been the default design tool for WordPress since 2018. Most theme developers have adapted to be compatible with Gutenberg Blocks, but not all of them have. The same is true with Elementor – most, but not all, themes work with it. Find a theme that’s compatible with Gutenberg Blocks, Elementor, or both.
- Mobile-Friendly: Most people view web content on their mobile devices. You must have a mobile-friendly or responsive website, so you don’t lose that audience.
- Responsive: If you have a bigger budget and a desire to make your website more flexible, a responsive site can adapt to whatever type of device it’s viewed on.
- Browser Compatability: Web content is displayed differently depending on the web browser. You want to choose a theme that functions regardless of what browser it’s being viewed on.
- SEO-Friendly: Your entire website, including your theme, must be designed with search engine optimization in mind. Choose a theme that is SEO-friendly.
- Customizability: Some themes have extremely limited ability to customize. Others have hundreds of options for customization, including colors, font sizes and styles, layout, and more.
- Supported Plugins: The plugins are what take your site from being a generic website to being a real estate website with IDX and other industry-specific plugins. Look for a theme that supports the plugins you plan to use.
- Support and Updates: Find out what kind of customer service the creator provides and check to see when the theme was last updated.
- Ratings and Reviews: Check to see what other customers had to say after installing their theme. Read the reviews and look at the ratings to see if others were satisfied.
How Much to WordPress Themes Cost?
There are plenty of free themes, but they’re limited. You’ll find a variety of pricing options for real estate WordPress themes, most of which range between $19 and $75, with an average price of $59.
You can pay anywhere from $1,500 to several thousand dollars for a completely custom WordPress theme unlike any other.
How Do You Install a WordPress Theme?
Installing a WordPress theme is super simple:
- Download the theme to your computer.
- Go to WordPress and log in to your admin area. Click “Appearance” and choose the themes page.
- Under the “add themes” section, you can upload the theme.
Ten of the Best Real Estate WordPress Themes
One: WP Residence
With more than 400 customizable options, the WP Residence real estate theme is one of the most popular among agents and agencies. Its features include, but are not limited to:
- 12 included demos, easily imported and fully customizable
- Works with more than a dozen plugins, including Elementor, MailChimp, Yoast, iHomefinder, and MLS import
- Has powerful advanced search
- Property pages with 34 options, including virtual tours, yelp reviews, statistics, floor plans, walk score, and more.
- More than 30 header styles and options
- Three splash pages
- Advanced user dashboard
- Money and Membership system
- Fully responsive
Astra promotes itself as being the most popular theme of all time due to its speed, customizability, and for being lightweight. It also offers the most extensive library of pre-built websites.
The platform consists of pre-built websites made for page builders that can be customized without code that delivers super-fast performance.
- Layout settings
- Colors and Typography
- Header Options
- Blog and Archives
It also integrates with plugins like:
- Woo Commerce
It also works with Gutenberg blocks.
Houzes is another extremely popular, highly customizable WordPress theme for real estate agents. Its design elements include a page builder, more than 30 drag-and-drop Elementor widgets, styling options, header and footer, and more. It also contains templates for property pages, listing pages, and the ability to compare properties.
Its modern search system features multi-select options, geolocation, and radius search.
The setup includes a map and search, lead generation forms, social logins, integrations, and more.
The Houzes suite of management tools includes:
- Front end dashboard
- Custom fields builder
- Email management
- User Management
Four: Real Estate Lite
Real Estate Lite is a WordPress theme that’s a simple yet complete solution for real estate agent and broker websites. There’s a free version that includes:
- Featured Header Image
- Intro with additional buttons
- Services section
- About Us
- Contact Us
It has customization options, including logo, header, colors, fonts, and the front page sections. You can upgrade to the Pro version for a plugin that lights up the website with functionality, including:
- Property slider
- Property feature/amenities
CitiLights appears at the top of the list of most popular real estate WordPress themes.
Their responsive theme gives your website a premium look, feel, and user experience. It’s easy to manage with a fully detailed Agent Dashboard, with future updates and six months of support included.
Features of the theme include, but are not limited to:
- Front end submission
- Membership subscription
- Google Map integration
- Advanced search
- Property featuring
- dsIDXpress IDX Plugin
Six: Divi RealEstate
Devi RealEstate offers pre-built pages and layouts so you can set up your real estate website quickly.
Show properties by integrating the Easy Property Listing plugin, allowing you to display listings in a grid format or responsive list. Here, you can:
- Apply filters
- Add categories
- Showcase photo galleries
- Add Google Maps
- Add, update, and manage unlimited listings
The pre-built pages are designed to make your life easier and create the foundation of your website’s structure. The pre-built pages include, but are not limited to:
- About Us
- Individual Services such as Buying, Selling, and Property Management
- Career (to help you hire new team members)
Seven: Real Spaces
Real Spaces is an HTML theme based on the Bootstrap framework and has ten predefined color schemes. If you don’t like one of the existing themes, you can easily add your own colors. There are more than 30 unique pages that you can include with your theme. Design features include, but are not limited to:
- List or Grid Properties View
- Multiple Blog Layouts
- Several Gallery Layouts
- Boxed and Wide Layouts, Google Maps
- Compatible with All the latest browsers
- Fully Responsive
One of the company’s bragging rights is that it’s retina-ready, so it displays your content in a sharp, clear, and well-organized format across multiple devices.
The theme includes custom widgets, features easy property management functions, and includes several filters for search results. Users can add properties to their favorites and compare properties in an easy, user-friendly way.
Eight: WP Pro Real Estate 7
One of the main claims to fame for WP Pro Real Estate 7 is its customer support and service. The company has worked with tens of thousands of agents, brokers, and consultants to develop an elegantly designed professional WordPress theme for real estate.
More than just a theme, WP Pro Real Estate 7 is also a CRM and IDX with frontend and backend features.
General theme features include:
- Fully customizable throughout all aspects of your site
- Import listings in bulk
- Full booking system with built-in booking calendar
- Google Maps integration
- Advanced Search
- More than ten custom widgets
You’ll also get live chat support and detailed instructions, along with other features.
Homeland is another real estate agent WordPress theme that has earned its place among the top themes for agents and agencies. Their themes are fully customizable, responsive and retina-ready, and include:
- Three theme layouts
- Theme customizer panel
- Advanced property search
- Google Map integration
- Unlimited color scheme
- Booking calendar integration
- Custom page templates and widgets
- Free property submission
- 16 custom widgets
- Multiple layouts for the homepage, properties, blogs, portfolios, and more
- Compatible with dsIDXpress WordPress plugin
HomePress is a theme integrated with IDX that comes with professional ticket and forum support and lifetime updates. There are 18 templates and you can incorporate the use of OpenStreetMap, Google Maps, or mapbox. You can also use Plugins to connect to your favorite of the three most popular IDX brokers. Your HomePress theme comes with:
- Mortgage calculator
- Single property searches
- Saved properties
- Compare listings
- Page statistics
- Quick View
- Advanced search functionality
- Yelp integration for nearby places
- Gallery images
Your theme is also built with Bootstrap 4, translation-ready, and mobile-ready.
Designing a WordPress real estate website is a long and complicated process, all of which is hinged on the theme you choose and the design element you use. Aim for the best theme the first time, so you don’t have to change themes later.
Research creators to make sure they’re reputable. Decide whether to use Gutenberg Blocks, Elementor, or both. Know what to look for in a theme and what you’re willing to spend. Then, follow a few quick and easy steps to install your theme, and you’re off and running with a new real estate WordPress website.